BurtonWeb
  • Home
  • History
  • Burton in Domesday 1086

Burton in Doomsday 1086

In 1086, when the Domesday surveyors visited Burton the county of Westmorland did not exist, so Burton, along twenty three other Westmorland places were listed as part of Yorkshire. 

It is listed in the gazetteer as Bortun: King's land - Bortun means "fortified farmhouse". Evidence of occupation by hunter-gatherers in the area dates from c.2000 B.C. with the finding of a Bronze Age axe head within the parish. 

Early stone fragments from ancient crosses dating from the 10th or 11th centuries, upon which may be seen carved Viking-style designs, are kept still in the parish church of St James at the northern end of the village. 

The church itself is supposedly built near the site of a Holy Well and is the village's oldest surviving building. The church tower contains parts dating from the 12th century.

The Holme & District Local History Society has carried out extensive research into the history of the parish, some of which is available on their website.

BurtonWeb.Cumbria Facebook page
BurtonWeb.Cumbria Twitter feed
BurtonWeb Blog